Friday, August 23, 2013

Cheesehead Meets Cheeseman

It all started innocently enough, as many addictions do. After moving to Cincinnati, I kept hearing about Findlay Market, the old-fashioned public market with food vendors, a farmers' market, and a great street scene ambiance. I finally checked it out and, being a Wisconsin girl and lover off all things dairy, I immediately noticed the cheese shop. The Gibbs Cheese Shop!

Eventually I met the owner, Jeffrey Gibbs, and we started talking about our families. His Gibbses go back 200 years in Southeast Indiana, while mine have been in Wisconsin for nearly that long. Suddenly I remembered a story I heard growing up, about how the Gibbses were bitter over losing out on a large inheritance because the courthouse back east had burned down and they couldn't prove the relationship. Jeff just looked at me and said "I heard that same story growing up." A moment of stunned silence ensued, right out of some movie.

Trying to discover if we were indeed related, I looked into online genealogy research, and completely fell for it. My first career was medical research and my second was computer programming, so online research is right up my alley! Thus my life veered off, down the Rabbit Hole of Genealogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment